IAS Officer’s ‘Missing’ Mystery Ends

By Tatkaal Khabar / 23-08-2026 05:45:54 am | 86 Views | 0 Comments
#

New Delhi, August 23, 2026 Karnataka IAS officer Gyanendra Kumar Gangwar, who had remained out of contact for two days and sparked speculation over his whereabouts, has been traced to his hometown in Uttar Pradesh. Karnataka minister Priyank Kharge said Gangwar had travelled home because of a sudden deterioration in his father’s health, bringing an end to speculation surrounding the officer’s absence. The 2016-batch IAS officer, currently serving as Director of MSME in the Industries and Commerce Department, had not been reachable on his official phone since August 20. Authorities initially found that his last known location was Bengaluru’s Kempegowda International Airport, while reports also suggested that he had booked a flight to Delhi. Kharge clarified that the situation arose because of a communication gap after Gangwar had to leave urgently for a family emergency. "There was some miscommunication. It has nothing to do with the ED searches," the minister told reporters. According to Kharge, Gangwar’s father, who is a heart patient, suffered a sudden change in his condition, prompting the officer to immediately travel to Uttar Pradesh. Before leaving, Gangwar had submitted a handwritten request for a week’s leave due to unavoidable circumstances. However, the application could not be processed immediately as the preceding day was a festival and government offices were not fully operational. His official phone was switched off, while attempts to contact him on his personal number were initially unsuccessful as he was travelling. "We contacted him, and he told us that he had applied for leave and informed the government," Kharge said. The minister said he had personally spoken with Gangwar, who informed the government that he would return within the next few days and complete the necessary leave formalities. Kharge also firmly rejected suggestions that the officer’s absence was connected to the recent ED searches at the Karnataka Public Service Commission, where Gangwar had earlier worked as Controller of Examinations before being removed from the post in March. Gangwar has reportedly said he is ready to face an inquiry by any agency if one is ordered. "There are no allegations against him currently, and no one has filed an application seeking an inquiry against him. Let this be very clear," the minister said.